Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Happy Birthday Keith!

Tomorrow is my sweet sweet hubby's birthday. I've never been the one to bake a birthday cake instead I would usually go pick one up from the grocer but this year I thought I would step it up and bake my puffin's (cute nickname huh?) his favorite cake which just so happens to be ~ Red Velvet~... I had all intentions of making a cake from scratch however with a 7month old wiggling around I was kindly pressed for time but you will be glad to know I did make my icing from scratch. Hope you enjoy :))


~Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Icing~


Cake Ingredients 

-2 Boxes of cake mix
mixed to according to the directions on the packaging. 
Mine called for
-3 Eggs
-1 1/4 Cup water
- 1/3 Cup oil

Icing Ingredients:

- 1 8oz. soften package of cream cheese
- 1 Cup butter 
- 6 Cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Step 1.
~Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
~Grease your pans~ I used two 8in. round pans
~Mix your cake mix according to the directions on the packaging. Once you'e gotten your cake mix ready, pour 1 mix into one of the greased cake pans, then repeat with the other mix. Give the pans a few good taps on the counter to release any air bubbles then place in oven for 40 minuets and bake. 

Step 2. 

Lets make that delicious icing! 
~Cream together your soften cream cheese and butter
~ add in the vanilla; I always add a little extra :))


~ Then slowly add in your 6 cups of  confectioners sugar. Stopping in between to push down the sides. Be sure to watch out for that flying sugar! 
Doesn't that look heavenly???

Ding~ our cakes are done! Lets take a look... 
If you have trouble getting your cakes out of the pans place them in the freezer for a few minuets then place a plate on top of the pan and give a few taps and waaa laaa they should slide right out. 

Step 3. 

Level your cake~

If you have a fancy leveler USE IT but if your like me and do it the old way and use a knife and level off both cakes.... 
Thats looks pretty level to me :))

Step 4. 

Stack your cake layers~

Step 5. 

Ice Ice baby~ thats right time to get to the finger licking good part!

Step 6. 

And last but not least add some crumbles or decor and there you have it! 

 Doesn't that look amazing???  

Thanks for stopping by~ 
Much Love & Happy Baking 








No comments:

Post a Comment